Sunday, March 11, 2012

Review: El Cazador de la Bruja (anime)

I've gotten to a point I've almost exhausted all the anime series Netflix has to offer.  I was getting desperate, not sure what to watch. El Cazador de la Bruja's description offered something I was interested but I wasn't sure if it would deliver.  I decided to give it a shot.  It took some times, and a few attempts to get through the first episode.  I managed to watch this whole series in the end and it was a fun trip.
Streetwise bounty hunter Nadie.

El Cazador de la Bruja follows Nadie, a bounty hunter, as she captures Ellis and brings her to her client.  As the series progresses, Nadie and Ellis develop a relationship beyond the expected.  They go from ward and watcher to sisters.  Nadie goes from simply protecting her cash cow into looking out of Ellis' best interest.  As the 26 episode series progress, strangers turn to enemies, who in turn become trusted friends.  Truths are revealed.  Hearts are broken and mended.

Likes -  It took some time but in the end, I came to really enjoy this anime. El Cazador de la Bruja has all the makings to be a repetitive anime series, like Hell Girl, but I never felt like the I was treading ground I had already covered. There was a natural evolution to the story and settings, akin to Gurren Langann, There were times I was a bit lost as to what was going on but I've had that with any good series, anime or otherwise.   I respect a show that goes full force forward and expects the audience to keep up.
Naive bounty Ellis

The big home run with this series were the characters.  Nadie immediately comes off as a caring individual with enough experience to not trust everyone she meets.  Which is in great contrast to Ellis, a young amnesiac devoid of recognizing any social cues.  From the beginning, we know that Nadie looks after Ellis.  A simple observation but has many implications through out the show.  The other characters like Blue Eyes and Ricado are developed naturally and thoughtfully.  Nothing feels forced.  All the characters seem to fall into the place we expect hem too in time.  Seeing each person get there is the real fun of the whole series.
Click here to watch the 1st episode on YouTube!

Dislikes - There isn't anything specific I disliked about this series.  I enjoyed it fully.

Overall - I recommend this series.  It was a lot of fun and definitely an enjoyable ride.  It offers settings and stories unique to anime, offering something fresh to longtime anime fans.  The are plenty of actions and gun battles.  The real enjoyment in this series comes from seeing the characters grow into something you can't help but love.  4.5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment